Temerity’s First Cruise


We took Temerity on her first cruise, starting with an overnight in our slip in Alameda Friday, July 3 and returning on Friday July 10.  Above, our route — Blue: Day 1, Alameda to China Camp.    Green: days 2 and 3, up the Petaluma River and down, to Benicia.  Red: Day 4, Benicia to Potato Slough.  Black: Day 5, Potato Slough to Benicia.  Yellow: Benicia to Alameda.

A hearty dinner was enjoyed Friday night, the new stern rail BBQ works great. 

Above, underway in hearty breezes through the Slot.   Single-reefed main and #4 jib worked out fine.

Red Rock, just South of Richmond Bridge.

The Brothers.

China Camp anchorage.   We arrived with lots of time to anchor, set up the dinghy and go ashore.

Char is a big fan of the new-to-us dinghy. 

We explored the shore in the afternoon, and returned to the boat for dinner and our first night ever spent at anchor.  As the tide turned, we found that we had spun about and got the rode wrapped on the keel.  I cleared the fouled rode, and a friendly powerboater (an ex-sailor) loaned us his spare anchor for us to set as a stern line.  I guess he didn’t want to spend the night worrying about us dragging down on him.  In the morning we found that we and several other nearby sailboats were firmly stuck in the mud, so that gave us a few hours time to again dinghy to shore.  At the minus low tide it was a bit of an adventure to wade through the knee-deep muck the last 50 yds. to push the dinghy up to the beach.  So I guess we learned something there.

Lunchtime motoring across San Pablo Bay, essential cruising gear deployed.   The North half of the Bay is crossable only via a very narrow channel, and the river is also not sailboat friendly, so we decided just to motor. 

Classic shot of crew footwear.

More cruising essentials.

Below:  Scenes along the Petaluma River, inbound.  It was pretty cold and overcast, with a 20kt North wind.

We spent the night at the Petaluma Turning Basin.  Ken the Bridgekeeper was very obliging and raised the drawbridge just for us.  We hosted our friend Ron for some drinks and conversation aboard, and it was good to see a friendly face in this remote outpost of civilization.  The next day we were stuck in the mud just a little bit, so we took the opportunity to walk into town to reprovision at the very nice Petaluma Market, where we also scored a $6 beach umbrella that was to come in very handy in the next phase of our voyage.

Below:  Petaluma River, outbound. 

Char made us go back and to see the swans.

Unlike our trip up the previous day, the weather for the trip down was sunny, warm, and with very little wind. 

Swan boat, mouth of the Petaluma River.

Navigational aid, N. San Pablo Bay.

We raised sail outside the Petaluma River approach channel, and had a great reach to Benicia, getting in at 1600, after a brief look into Mare Island Straight.

Above:  Approach to Benicia.

Following our sojourn in Bencia, were we enjoyed dinner ashore and the excellent facilities of the marina (and our first showers of the trip), we set out the next morning for the Delta, raising sail (full main and #2) past the Benicia-Martinez bridge.  The best sailing of the trip followed, running and reaching up the San Joaquin.

Our anchorage in the lee of Dingaling Island, Potato Slough.

The spinnaker gear finally made an appearance, once in the Delta. 

Hanging out.  The fresh water was great, though the swift current made for some interesting swimming.

Track of our first night at anchor in the Delta.  We covered 1.3 nm.

Char goes dinghy surfing.  5 kts wasn’t fast enough for her.

First Bedroom, Potato Slough.

Below, Korth’s Pirate Lair Marina, where we tried to provision but got in too late.  Pirate and Tiki elements seem to peacefully co-exist here.

Cornfields on Venice Island.

Thursday saw us motoring back to Benicia in the face of a moderate breeze right our nose.  We chose to go home on the Sacramento River, navigating Three Mile Slough and passing under its lift bridge. 

Windmills along the Sacramento.

Mt. Diablo seen from the ‘wrong’ side.

Our final leg home on Friday was rough.  A 20 kt Westerly and a strong ebb made for fast speed over the ground (8 kts) but a brutal ride.  We pounded into it for nearly 3 hours before things moderated off Pt. Pinole.  Crew morale was not high.  The wind was never off our nose before Richmond, so we wound up motoring the whole way.  I would have like to have got in more sailing, but it was a great trip all the same!

2 Responses to “Temerity’s First Cruise”

  1. 1 Buck

    Congratulations on your first cruise! Looks like the weather was quite cooperative – always a plus. Wonderful photos and text/ Made me feel like I was there.

  2. 2 Rick Nelson

    Nice cruise, makes me want to go in debt again and get a large boat.
    Looks like the girls had fun.

Leave a Reply