Last week we picked up Temerity from the rigger’s, and I’m very pleased with all the new gear. Annika and I took her out yesterday to test all the new kit. First, our new Doyle Stratis main looks great! The rest of the photo captions beneath their respective photos.
Very busy here at the mast base. All the mast base blocks and hardware were replaced and rebedded, and all the halyards are new high-tech line. The main halyard is doubled to make a two-part purchase for easy raising and to reduce static line tension. The deck organizers (horizontal blocks) are also new, as is all the vang tackle and line. The old outhaul and reefing tackle was replaced with a single outhaul with a multipart purchase in the boom, and two separate reefing lines led to clutches, and new sheaves at the end of the boom. The end result is that everything runs much more easily, and one can control the rig better as effort is not being expended in overcoming all the friction in the system.
New starboard clutch bank. Labels are on order.
New mainsheet and traveller setup. The traveller car is a Harken windward sheeting unit with greater purchase than the old setup, and should be easier to trim with. The track is new. The new high-tech sheet is a doubled system, replacing the old coarse/fine (6:1 and 24:1) with a simpler one where when both sheets are pulled it is 4:1 and when a single one is pulled it is 8:1. The sheet itself is a spliced as a continuous loop.
Custom lazyjack system made up of spectra and grommets. It has a single line retrieval/tension adjustment. We are still getting used to how to used it effectively, as the main is still hard to flake as it is still very new and stiff.
Annika adjusts the lazyjacks.
Back home with the main on the boom. The new main luff is on slugs for easier short-handed management. Previously we just used the luff rope and rolled the main to store it on the boom, which was kind of a big job for one person, especially in the wind.
A few other things:
- Genoa, checkstay, and jib tracks removed, cored and rebedded
- New traveller track cored and installed with deck re-inforcement
- Runner clutches removed
- Minor gelcoat repairs
- Permanent stand-up blocks for afterguys installed
There is not much left from my original plan since I bought Temerity a little over two years ago. The headsail inventory needs to be addressed, we blew up a spinnaker and probably should get another one. I’ve had the #1 genny re-cut and it doesn’t look bad, but the #3 is pretty tired. The electronics are mostly in place and talking to each other as they should, with the exception of radar, which I might put off for quite some time.
If you are wondering about cost, Annika told me about a friend of hers whose dad had bought her a Mini Cooper for her birthday. I told her that I was fixing up her yacht instead.
So, 2011 season, here we come!