Archive for March, 2012 Page 2 of 3



Sirenic Quotidian

OYRA Lightship I

To say that our running in the OYRA Lightship I race got off to an inauspicious start would be beyond understatement.   I was lucky to have Kim, Chuy, and Michaela as crew, and was looking forward to turning in a good showing, as well as a good time.    The start proved to be a fiasco however, as I misjudged the speed of the early ebb and we drifted over the pin, snagging it in fact on our rudder.    As as you can see from the animated chart below, there we sat for all to see for nearly an hour.     The RC delayed the two Divisions after us, but then started them off, with Temerity playing the inglorious role as the pin.


View Larger Map

After the other fleets had all left, a nice young man in a big StFYC RIB helped us off, after several  attempts against the 3 kt current.  By towing straight back towards the ‘X’ buoy, we were eventually freed, and could see the nasty pink inflated mark ahead of us by a boatlength or so.   And then, before we could get the sail up and get steerage, we drifted right back down on it and snagged it again with the rudder.    A real character building moment.  Finally, we were off for real, we hoisted sails and started out the Gate.

The wind died, and then filled again out of the promised NW.   We made the Lightship in one long beat on starboard, getting a bit of a lift on the way.  It was too late to be clever and try to work to the north of the course.    As we rounded, the wind was blowing about 20 kts and had veered enough so that the apparent was nearly on our beam — too far forward to set the spin, and the seas were pretty steep, probably about the 12 feet at 12 seconds that had been forecast.    We stuck with the #1 and power-reached for home.     As the afternoon progressed, the wind built to a solid 30 kts with gusts of 35 kts.      With Kim and Chuy sharing the driving most of the way back, we saw over 17 kts on the speedo, a new boat record, helped by the steepness of the waves.   We even managed to pass a couple of the PHRO3 boats on the way back.    The result was a DFL, not surprising given our delayed start.

Fortunately the crew were very good about the whole business, and après-race we were all happy to tuck in to the delicious chicken pot pie that Kim had prepared, with Dark and Stormy chasers to take the edge off.   It was a lovely day with good wind and a chance to be on the ocean, so what’s not to enjoy?

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Hank conversion and more

Temerity is now back from our GC Marine, our rigger, having had the mast out and a number of maintenance tasks completed.   This included rig overhaul and inspection, replacement of mast head sheaves, replacement of VHF antenna cable, rebuild gooseneck and vang attachments, hydraulic backstay adjuster service, rebedding  the forward hatch, and adding a second topping lift and pole butt car to enable twin-pole jibing of the spinnaker (we also had the old black pole repaired and re-rigged, and a new carbon pole is under construction.)

What did not go back up when the mast and rig were reinstalled was our foil on the headstay.  Instead, we are going bare, and I have had the sail loft convert all our headsails from luff rope to hanks.   The Sweden type brass beauties can be seen above.    Char and I took her out for a test on Saturday afternoon, and so far I am happy — it was blowing 10 – 16 as we motored and then sailed upwind under main alone with the jib unattended and un-bungied on the foredeck, and the jib of course had no ability to try and fly up and out of the boat.   On the douse the sail did not exactly fall like a rock, and I had to run forward as usual to pull it down, but this was with our brand new #3 which is quite stiff and crispy still.

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian

Sirenic Quotidian