At the one week point of sailing, it’s looking like we have a lock on a DFL in our division, due to a very bad weather routing decision and sail selection decision made on Day 2. So we are focusing on just making a minimum of 150nm made good per day which will put us in Kaneohe Tuesday afternoon.
While we did get in some spin handling practice before the race, and I have raced in many OYRA races, it was not enough, not nearly enough. We have yet to fly a spinnaker, either the wind is too great, or the sea state too violent, or the wind fluky and light, so I thought all we would do is tie it in knots.
Some of the things that are working well are our provisioning (for the most part), fishing, Day 1, the power system, water usage and plumbing, and the autopilot. We are using our jib top a lot, but find that in heavy air we are not able to pole out the twins safely, so gave up on them for the time being. This is a pretty big blow to our strategy though. We are able to each get rest as needed after the first couple of nights, except for last night where we had very big waves and 20+ kt winds all night, and we had to hand steer in complete darkness using the compass only. But we recovered and are OK now.
With Annika as crew, I find I am almost completely intolerant of anything remotely unsafe, and this has also prevented us from setting the spin. Hopefully in a couple of days the winds will moderate and we can actually participate in the race as we should.