Archive for the 'Temerity' Category

Three Bridge Fiasco, our moment of fame


… occurs at 07:35 above.

Three Bridge Fiasco 2013


View Larger Map

Replay of our track, above.   Below, a  time lapse movie from dropatan.

Annika and I had our best-ever 3BF performance last Saturday, with blustery winds pushing us to a 14th out of 34 starters in our Division (DH Spin PHRF<108), while beating all the other Olson 34s (two of which admittedly single-handing), all the Express 37s, and overall 61st out of 256 DH monohull starters (based on the preliminary results).    Last year (the first year we even finished the damn thing)  we were a bit below the overall fleet midpoint, and this year we are in the top quartile, at least if one chooses one’s denominator wisely.

Because the Fiasco can be run in any direction, this race starts the night before more so than others.   I had studied the predicted tides and winds on SailFlow, and it seemed we could look forward to NW moderate winds, though how strong these would be and exactly when they would fill in depended on the model.   With the last of the flood at the start and a strong ebb in mid-afternoon, it seemed clear to me that clockwise was the way to go.  Also, we had had good luck with CW last year.   Apparently, a lot of people took the NWS prediction of  Westerly all day to heart, fortunately for us.  I discounted the  predicted strength though, since the forecast had been for 10 – 15 kts for several days, though the most recent was calling for low 20s.

Conditions at the start were fairly warm, sunny, and with the breeze varying from 8 to 14 kts.   As we approached the start area and pulled back on motor power, all of the engine alarms sounded at once — alternator, coolant temp, and oil pressure.  A very hurried check on the engine found no real problem, but the distraction caused us to miss our start time by several minutes.  Even the moderate wind of 12-14 kts after the start made it hard to pull the big #1 genny in in a timely way, but we did our best taking advantage of the early ebb along the shore on the way to Blackaller.

We had one slow spot near Harding, but I liked how the flood was still helping us through with about +1kt over the ground, and felt the dead spot would not last.   We did see a few boats peel away from the CW group and head for points East.  Coming though Raccoon, we continued to enjoy the flood in mid-channel, so decided to stay there rather than hugging the Tiburon shore as so many others seemed to be doing.  We also encountered new-to-the-Bay Olson 34 LOYA.

Rounding Red Rock the question became: to set, or not to set?  The angles were fine for the spin, but we were in a very crowded situation and the wind was in the high teens.   Boat speed was good and no one was passing us.  So we decided to sit tight.   Also, it was lunch time.  As we ran down to TI, the wind increased and moved steadily bow-wards, so that by the time we were at Berkeley it was 20+ kts and too hot to carry the spin.   We observed several boats rounding up or having some serious spin management issues, including the boat whose main had a huge logo for “the official law firm of AC34″ on it, having lost both sheets and the red spin flying straight out from the masthead as they passed under the Bay Bridge.   Since this specific scenario is one that I have nightmares about, I felt a lot better on our decision not to fly that day!

Our biggest mistake came next.   With the wind  in the Slot clearly over 20 kts, we should have gotten ready to change down to the #3 and maybe even reef, as we were grossly overpowered with the #1 up to go upwind, as we certainly would be doing on the final leg.    Instead, as we approached the Bay Bridge West span, we decided to just gut it out even though we were on our ear and boatspeed was not good.  Annika felt she had good control, and I knew that changing down would cost us a lot of time.   So we hung on as we beat around the corner and towards Alcatraz in the very bumpy seas and winds solidly in the mid-20s, gusting to 30, and where it was clear the now-ebbing current was going to be a benefit.   Our finish was at 13:49:28, and we made sure to do complete turn around the X buoy to leave no room for doubt as to crossing the line.

We had a  very fast run down the Estuary where the wind stayed above 20 kts most of the way, and on starting the engine found it to be fine, with no alarms sounding.  Hmm.    We capped our day with a well deserved dinner at Scolari’s, our favorite eatery on Park Street, where the dress code is sailor-friendly.

Also see writeups at NorCalSailing, Latitude 38,  and Sailing Anarchy.

Race replay with multiple boat tracks here.

Three Bridge Fiasco unofficial Olson 34 Division

Culebra is sitting this one out, none of the Express 34s are showing up, but we have a new (or renamed) O-34 LOYA coming.

Our start is at 09:57:45.

Shipping

A pic I just found in my email of Temerity at the Matson yard in Honolulu preparatory for shipping.

Here we go again

Home now

Temerity is at last home from Hawaii and put back together, modulo putting on the main, a few minor electrical repairs, and some black marks on the port topsides.   I’ve spent the last couple of chore-doing trips in taking off all the offshore gear, and for next season will have the e-rudder set up so that it can be theoretically deployable at sea without the unsightly frame constantly attached.

The shipping cost was brutal, as I knew it would be.   I added up all the bills, and it came to $19,210.34.    For those contemplating shipping their larger boats home from Hawaii, here is what you can expect.

Pacific Cup 2012 Gallery of Misc Pics

We didn’t take all that many pictures on our Pac Cup adventure; as usual we were too busy sailing!   Here is a big collection of all the pics that did not make it into the blog on the first go-around.

 

Continue reading ‘Pacific Cup 2012 Gallery of Misc Pics’

Belated post about our finish


As followers of the Pac Cup will have realized long since, we finished at 31 Jul 2012 17:18:59 HST with an elapsed time of 15d 07:03:59, the better part of two days behind our Division winner Naos 30. We were warmly greeted by a very welcoming crowd of fellow racers, along with Mai Tais and pineapple. We were so beat that I wasn’t in much shape to blog much, and have also been busy with our changed delivery plans — we will be shipping Temerity home aboard Matson, rather than sailing her home ourselves. We decided that it was probably too great an effort for just the two of us, we were not confident about the time required, and the lack of an autopilot makes it a complete non-starter. Saturday we are locating to the Waikiki YC for temporary berthing before prepping the boat for decommission and shipment to the mainland. Goodbye Kaneohe!

Temerity wins the “Race to the Start Line”

I’m very pleased that tonight at the Pac Cup awards ceremony, Temerity won the prize for the “Best Prepared Yacht”. This honor was certainly unexpected, but I was very proud and glad to receive it, as I had worked very very hard to get the boat to the start line in a condition that would allow me and Annika to set off on our adventure confident about the boat and our safety. My thanks to the Committee for the award, it means a great deal to us both.

Fishing Report

Yesterday we went after some Mahi for dinner, and had immediate success of a sort. After trolling just 10 min with the jet-head cedar plug we got a strike, a big Mahi, but then as we were pulling him in we got a big puff, boatspeed went to 11-12 kts sustained, and we lost him, with the hook probably torn from his mouth. Reset, and a second strike within half an hour. This one threw the hook as he was being brought up to the boat. Then, a bit late to start a big cooking project.

Today we tried again, and had a strike of some sort but lost the lure. We tied on a plain cedar plug, but no luck after a couple of hours, so we will have to try tomorrow.

At 1945PDT we are 175nm from the finish and expect to be at the dock at midnight or possibly a bit later tomorrow, local time.

MUST. MAKE. LUAU.

MUST. MAKE. LUAU.

DDW

Yesterday afternoon the wind swung around to DDW again, so after our nice reaching we were again deep running with only the #2 up. The last three days runs of CMG are 135nm, 150nm and 136nm. Last night was clear, with no squalls and this helped to keep the last number down.

If we can get back to a rate of 150nm/day, this would have us at the finish at about midnight Tuesday, but late Wednesday might be a better guess.

Here are the standings using Fridays position reports if one considers all the Monday starters as a single fleet. I can’t go and look now but I think there may have been at least 3 boats retired as well.

15 Moonshine 370 26 Naos 30 459 27 Nozomi 521 30 Jamani 366 31 VALIS 561 32 Relentless 516 33 Cassiopeia 672 34 Magic 584 35 Lil Angel 756 36 No Strings Attached 675 38 Plus Sixteen 725 39 Temerity 684 40 Weatherly 626

DDW

Yesterday afternoon the wind swung around to DDW again, so after our nice reaching we were again deep running with only the #2 up. The last three days runs of CMG are 135nm, 150nm and 136nm. Last night was clear, with no squalls and this helped to keep the last number down.

If we can get back to a rate of 150nm/day, this would have us at the finish at about midnight Tuesday, but late Wednesday might be a better guess.

Here are the standings using Fridays position reports if one considers all the Monday starters as a single fleet:

15 Moonshine 370 26 Naos 30 459 27 Nozomi 521 30 Jamani 366 31 VALIS 561 32 Relentless 516 33 Cassiopeia 672 34 Magic 584 35 Lil Angel 756 36 No Strings Attached 675 38 Plus Sixteen 725 39 Temerity 684 40 Weatherly 626

DDW

Yesterday afternoon the wind swung around to DDW again, so after our nice reaching we were again deep running with only the #2 up. The last three days runs of CMG are 135nm, 150nm and 136nm. Last night was clear, with no squalls and this helped to keep the last number down.

If we can get back to a rate of 150nm/day, this would have us at the finish at about midnight Tuesday, but late Wednesday might be a better guess.

Twins/No Twins


We spent a lot of time yesterday getting the twins-on-pole finally sorted, but did not begin flying in earnest until about 7 PM. The challenge had been to come up with a scheme that let one set the pole without being too dangerous in higher winds. We finally used just the spin sheet and guys, in their usual positions, and used the pole like a reaching strut.

It was fun to surf steadily in last nights winds, and squalls of about 22 kts. But each squall seemed to come out of the East, and finally this morning, the wind has declined and is almost entirely from the East — and the whole rest of the course is expected to be like this for many days. The twins were not working, as they have to be flown essentially DDW. We are beam/ broad reaching now in about 10 kts of wind. Unfortunately, we are too beat to both be on deck this morning to attempt a spin set. Even on this easy point of sail, the lack of the autopilot means one of us has to be on the helm at all times. SOG is about 5 kts, so we are really hoping the wind pipes up, or we can get rested to the point of a spin set.